Cycle route "Historic places of Palevene – Stirniskiai"

Length of the route –  34 km

 

1. Kupiskis (Aukstupenai) mound

The mound stumbles near the city of Kupiskis (in Aukstupenai village), near the Kupiškis lagoon. The historians think that there was a wooden community castle – hideout the very earliest start of the future town in the castle. It is believed that the fortifications of the Kupiskis mound or the castle were destroyed already during the first march of the Order Army somewhere about 1240. Kupiskis lagoon. It is the fourth largest artificial water pool in Lithuania after the Kursiai, Kaunas and Elektrėnai lagoons. In 1984 an artificial water pool of 828 ha of area and 25 km of  length formed by stemmed river Levuo.

Aukštupėnai First resort Buivėnai repository (4.9 km)

 

2. Buivenai repository

In the ancient burial ground near the Buivenai, also known as the Giant burial ground, under the guidance of archaeologist Povilas Tebelškis, in 1983, archaeological research was carried out during which the 13 graves and 36 coins minted in the times of the great princes of Kazimieras, Aleksandras, Sigismundas Old and Steponas Batoras were found in the necropolis.

Buivėnai Repository - Buivėnai Oak (1.3 km)

 

3. Buivene oak

In Buivenai village grows about 700 years old one of the highest oak of Lithuania. Its height is 26.7 m, the diameter is 2.2 and the volume is 7 m. In 1960 The Buivėnai oak is declared as a natural monument.

Buivėnai Oak Palėvenės Šv. Dominican Church and Monastery (1.3 km)

 

4. Father's Day St. Dominican Church and Dominican Monastery Ensemble

In 1676 the first Dominican monks settled in the Palevene monastery, the stone church started to be built in the same year. The interior of this church with 8 middle altars, pulpit, confessional and lodge is one of the most original examples of Lithuania, called the folk baroque.

Palevene St. Dominic Church and Monastery Paevene Cemetery (0,6 km)

 

5. The tomb of Une Babickaite in the cemetery of Palevene

Una Babickaitė (1897 – 61) performed in silent Hollywood films, American theatres in Washington and New York. Moved to the United States  she named herself Une Baye.

Palevene Cemetery Komarai Manor (4,3 km)

 

6. Komarai Manor

Mykolas Komaras settled in Palevene Manor (then it was Ukmerge region) in 1654. This manor was a main place ofr the Komarai Residence. There were 26 different-purpose, shaped and large rooms in the palace, and the building was surrounded by a 2-hectares English – style park, which featured very old and varied trees. Since 1859 there was a water mill and a distillery in the Komarai manor. In 1940 the Soviet government nationalized the manor. The manor homestead’s building suffered greatly during the Second World War.

Komarai Manor Stirniskiai mound (1.4 km)

 

7. Stirniskiai mound

The mound is located on the hill, on the left of the river Levuo and on the right bank of the river Pilipis. Given dates at the beginning of the I ths II thsd. There were burial mounds near this mound of the III-V centuries.

Stirniskiai mound Noriunai (6 km)

 

8. Noriunai Manor

In 1560 in Gardini's palace, the then governor of Noriunai village Mikolajus Narusevicius was allowed to create a manor, which later belonged to the nobles Tiskeviciai, Tyzenhauzai, Oginskiai, Komarai. In 1921 this manor was held the wedding of the poet K. Binkis and Pranciska Eve, the sister of the last manor owner’s J. Adomonis. The Noriunai architectural ensemble consists of manor palace, farm labourers, outbuildings and park. It is a monument of national significance. Unpredictable T-letter’s plan Noriunai Manor House Architecture is characterized by details of Classicism and Mannerism.

Noriunai Aukstupenai 1st resort (10.5 km)

There are no reviews. Be the first one to give a review!