Cycles route "By the path of old manors and churches"

Length of the route – 52 km

1. Kupiskis Mound.

In the ancient times there lived the Baltic tribe the Selonians. The archaeological findings around the mound show that in the 8th century AD a wooden defence castle loomed there. Supposedly, the castle or entrenchments were destroyed by Livonian or Teutonic Orders around 1240.

 

2. The Museum of Adomas Petrauskas.

Local resident Adomas Petrauskas (1914-2004) established a unique museum in 1969 in his own farmstead. The collection consists of approximately 4969 exhibits such as the objects of archaeology, household, ethnography, art, photography and biographies of well-known people.

 

3. The wooden chapel of Mary Magdalene is situated in Uoginiai village cemetery.

It was built in 1716. One of the famous Lithuanian priest and poet Antanas Stazdas was located in Uoginiai in 1802 and celebrated Mass in this chapel.

 

4. The Picture Gallery of the Painter Veronika Sleivyte.

The Picture gallery was established in 1985 in Viktariskiai. The gallery shows the collection of the painting works collected during the period of the painter life. There is restored an authentic domestic life of formerly lived multi-child family in a former parents’ farmhouse.

 

5. St. Hyacint’s Church of Antasava.

A wooden church was built in 1862 by the initiative of the parson Albinas Rubavicius. The church with a rectangular plan has 2 massive towers and a stone bell tower, which is situated in the churchyard. The present interior of the church was created in 1928-1940 by priest Juozapas Cepenas.

 

6. Antasava Manor.

Antasava Manor is mentioned from 1595. with its garner and the presbytery. It was built in 1812-1816 by the project of the architect Mykolas Šulcas, an apprentice of Laurynas Stuoka – Gucevicius one of the famous architects of Lithuania. This is the only building survived in Lithuania constructed by M. Sulcas. The manor ensemble (only fragments survived) was developed by the composition of Classicism.

 

7. The Necropolis of Darsiskiai Village.

A gravesite of the rebel platoon of Eliziejus Liutkevicius of uprising 1863 – 1864 in Darsiskiai village, local people called “Kapeliai” (graves).

 

8. Salamiestis Manor.

Classicistic manor house with majority of manor buildings was built in the middle of XIX century. At the same time the windmill of fieldstones was laid at the site. Till XVIII century this estate belonged to the Radvila family, after that the Tiskeviciai family took over the manor.

 

9. A Grain Storehouse of Salamiestis.

Stony grain storage was built around 1825, local people called as “magazinas”. Nowadays, it remains only the fragments of wall from the split fieldstones and the masonry of calcined clay of the red bricks.

 

10. The Church of St. Anthony of Padua of Salamiestis.

The first church or chapel of Salamiestis was built in 1690. In 1815 – 1820 the church was reconstructed by the finances of the congregation and Countess Constance Morikoniene and a care of priest Mykolas Dirvianskis. The church is from stones’ masonry with a rectangular plan, has the typical details of Classicism and 3 altars inside.

 

11. The Evangelical Reformed Church of Salamiestis.

The Evangelical Reformed parish was first mentioned in written sources around 1583. The present wooden church was built in 1830 on the stone foundations with a classicist portico of 4 columns. Salamiestis has the only historic of the Evangelical Reformed parish in Kupiskis area.

 

12. The homestead of Skardziai family.

The homestead of Skardziai family was built in 1891 and it is a valuable monument of antique wooden architecture. A stone the “Devil’s foot” overlooks here, as well. According to the fairy stories this stone was a meeting place of witches from the surroundings.

There are no reviews. Be the first one to give a review!