St. Hyacinth's church in Skapiskis


St. Hiacint (Jack) church is located in Kupiškis district, in the town of Skapiskis, near the road to Pandelys. Masonry built in 1819. The first church is mentioned in 1519. Skapiskis parish’s church in the 16th century had only 2 peasants’ yards. To it in 1555 Stanislovas Skopas donated more than 22 bays of land with the villages of Biliunai and Kreipsiai. In subsequent documents is indicated that in 1555 a brick church was built. In 1669 was mention only Skapiskis chapel, in 1674 – 1677 there is no Skapiskis church in the Acts of Vilnius Diocese. Probably the Evangelical Reformat was assimilated to it. About 1684 The village of Kreipsiai was returned to the church. In Skapiškis (1720 – 1740) was a parish priest and said Lithuanian sermons Vilnius Canon  Juozapas Domininkas Puzinas. Soon he became a bishop of Livonia and with brother Mykolas in 1750 settled the Dominicans in Skapiskis. To them monastery in 1750 were given away 137 Wallach of land. In 1752 was built a monastery, in 1756 – Dominican Church. Since 1775 there was a parish school. In 1790 was started to brick the monastery. His construction lasted more than 20 years. Wooden Dominican Church burned down in 1806. In 1819 the dominicans built the current brick church. Chapel Church in 1797 was wooden. Until 1813 build on a new one. In 1832 Skapiskis town and Kurkliai estae with Bestupis, Eicionys, Laibiskiai and Tvirai villages belonged to the Dominicans. Russian government in 1832 closed the monastery, dismantled the palace and transformed it into barracks. The church was turned into a warehouse. In 1858 the Dominican Church was given to Catholics and became a parishioner. The worship of the former parish church was not considered. After 1863 revolt was arrested a parish priest, Dominikas Zukas. About 1875, when the soldiers left the monastery, the building was left unused, only in 1924 a pro – gymnasium began to work in it. During the First World War, the Germans destroyed the old parish church. The new church was also in vain. 5 bells had been taken to Russia. In the concern of Mykolas Prijalgauskas in 1923 the church was repaired, its roof was covered with tin. The parish priest Nikodem Kasperiunas in 1936 painted inside of the church. During the Second World War, the rectory was burnt down, the church was damaged after the war it was repaired. The former monastery’s palace was destroyed by order of the government. The church has classic features, a rectangular plan and a dumbbell. Inside there are 3 naves. Central navy’s brackets are cylindrical. The churchyard fence is made of stone masonry.

There are no reviews. Be the first one to give a review!