Kupiškis (Aukštupėnai) mound

 

The mound is situated just by Kupiškis, near Kupiškis Lagoon and Aukštupėnai village. It is made on the massive and oblong hill on the left bank of the river Lėvuo. The Aukštupis stream is flowing on the northern foothill. The other sides of the mound are surrounded by meadows. The cultural stratum was found in the peripheries and slopes of the mound. According to historians, there was a wooden community castle – hiding place, where the first settlement was later established. In ancient times the Selonians (the Balts tribe) lived in Kupiškis surroundings, and there were their southern lands. It is assumed that Kupiškis mound fortifications or castle were already destroyed during the first Crusades around 1240.

There are no reviews. Be the first one to give a review!